Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Returned from the Grave

Hello everyone, I'm back.

   Although it really isn't much of a return, as I barely wrote anything at all previously. So now I'm looking at this as more of a renewed interest in The Twitterless Engineer as an ongoing, continuous project. Before there was such a self-imposed pressure to write about technology and 3D printing that I quickly suffocated my own interest in writing about only those topics, so I've decided to open up and write freely from now on. Anything goes from here on out, which will hopefully allow myself to continue writing regularly and simply get out my thoughts in an ordered manner.

   Given that, I'd like to discuss what has consumed my life for the last month: moving to a new city for my first "big league" job. In just a few days St. Louis, Missouri, will become home. But first I have to get there, and packing and moving has been just as big of a hassle as I would have imagined. A surprising amount of stuff, junk or otherwise, accumulates after living in one place for a year and a half, and all of it either has to get thrown out, go with you, or get dumped on an unsuspecting family member. But it has allowed me to get rid of a bunch of stuff that has found its way into the house, such as a left-handed hockey stick from the dumpster (I don't play hockey!), a few old model rockets, and a myriad of boxes that have built up over the years. The act of removing all this from my life has restored me a bit, and reset me for the next several months. I'm leaving behind or throwing out aspects of myself that are merely dead weight, leaving room for more purposeful and meaningful utensils to occupy my mental and physical space. Additionally this will allow me to take a brief look behind me at my schooling so far, my high school years, and my childhood, before looking forward at the beginning of the beginning of my career (this position is only for 7 months).

   Looking forward, moving to a new city affords you some chances to do many things that I think everyone should experience. These include starting a new job, living with new people, and becoming a part of a new community. But the one I'm most excited about is exploring my new environment. This ranges from exploring the new space I'll be living in to discovering the immense city around me, but I'm exciting for all of it. Of course I've visited St. Louis before, having lived only 2 hours away for all my life, but the chance to not be a visitor for once is one that I welcome, and hopefully the city welcomes me as well.

   Over the next several months I will be writing about my explored experiences, which will, with any luck, rub off on you to give you a picture of St. Louis as a home and attraction. Activities that are high on my list include checking out the Soulard Market, the Fox Theatre, Forest Park, and of course the Cardinals' opening home series (go Cards!). I can't wait to get going (and writing), see you all next time.


- Cam

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck on your move! I know how fun and exciting setting down roots in a new location can be. Just enjoy every moment of it!

    ReplyDelete